For kids and young people
Copyright law applies to you no matter what age you are.
It’s quite easy to break the law without knowing, for example if you:
• download films, TV programmes or computer games for free when you should pay for them
• copy and share music you’ve downloaded
• copy DVDs and share or sell them.
Why you need to know about copyright
If you learn about copyright, you can:
• be more certain that you’re not breaking the law
• help make sure that artists, writers and musicians get paid for their work
• use copyright to stop other people using your own work without your permission.
This is particularly important at a time when most children have access to the internet and risk downloading or copying material without knowing that they’re breaking the law.